5 ways to sleep with good posture
Updated: Apr 27, 2021
Since people must sleep, make sure you do it right. Follow these five steps for a refreshing, revitalizing night sleep.
1) Do not sleep on your back. This can cause, or exacerbate, low back issues. When your legs are straight, the psoas, a muscle that connects your low back to the front, inside of your thigh, will tighten and pull the lumbar vertebrae forward. If you sleep on your back, put a pillow under your knees to allow the psoas to relax taking the strain off the low back.
2) Avoid sleeping with your hand under your pillow. Whatever sleeping position you adopt; it is a bad idea to sleep with your hand under your pillow. If you have any sort of shoulder issues, sleeping in an externally rotated, abducted position can cause shoulder impingement leading to numbness in the shoulder, arm, or hand. Restricted blood flow to any part of your body is a bad thing. A better position is with your arms lower than at a right angle to your body. Try not to put your arms under your body as that will put pressure on the shoulder joint too.
3) Do sleep on your side. Sleeping on your side will allow you to easily bend at the hips and knees keeping pressure off your lumbar spine. Putting a pillow between your knees will also help to keep the spine from twisting in the night. Also, use a pillow that will keep your spine straight when seen from the side.
4) Do use a pillow which conforms to the shape of the neck. Feather pillows are one option, but they need to be replaced every couple of years as they collapse over time. Memory foam pillows conform to the contour of your head and neck. However, they can become hot during the night. Whatever pillow you choose; the correct height is important. If the pillow is too high or too low, it will tilt your head and cause those muscles to tighten up leading to neck aches. Make sure your head is in alignment with your spine. Check out products from Leesa and Layla.
5) Do sleep on a quality mattress. A good mattress should conform to the natural curves of your body keeping the spine in normal alignment. Firm mattresses are a better option because they offer sufficient support for the body to maintain spinal alignment. Mattresses should be replaced every 8-10 years because they wear out and can cause the body to sag. I would recommend exploring Avocado Green Mattresses.
Following these 5 suggestions will help you get a restful, refreshing night sleep.